Thursday, November 1, 2007

Organizational Coaching: Living 'We need Each Other'

this is a work in progress

I am trying to live one life. To walk my talk and live my values. My father of blessed memory's favorite comment was 'we need each other.' He said it at shul when he was president, he spoke it to his granddaughters and he said it to me. That was his legacy. There is a sign at the end of the community where my parents lived; 'be safe we need each other.' I like that.

In my studies of mystical Judaism and other faiths a core concept is that we are all connected, we are one. In quantum physics a butterfly's wings in one part of the world can cause a typhoon in a place 180 degrees from the butterfly. Barbara Streisand and Cher sing that each heart is connected to each others. I am getting this information from all sides. And now I am reading Appreciative Inquiry and World Cafe. Pieces of the puzzle are beginning to find each other.

I was in individual counseling for many years, my parents refused to go for various reasons. Years later I had a practice in individual counseling and my most fun was when I worked with couples because I could see change happening. Now I do executive coaching where I work one on one with clients. It works and...it really works when the individual I work with is a CEO and can make organizational change. And I agree no matter how large or small any change is important when peace of mind and heart happens even for a moment. And the world is going so fast and we are too often living the illusion of separation and fear before connectedness and love.

In the Hebrew tradition the sages speak that the soul takes life to heal the tears in the fabric of the world and each soul is unique so has a special offering to the larger picture.

Organizational coaching moves beyond the individual coaching to live the Servant Leadership concept of 'it is not just about me , it is about us.' It is an evolution where the community that is made up of individuals can get a collective massage through the venue of collaborative conversations. We are needing to go back to the original concept of councils where people in the tribes sat around and discussed the community's needs.

No comments: